So you're considering a certification in ballroom..we're so excited for you! Whether you are just now considering an occupation in dance, or years into your teaching career, becoming certified can set you apart in a competitive industry and contribute to a fulfilling career of exploration and accomplishment. Here is everything you need to know about how the process of certification.
Step 1: Choose Your Certification
Just as universities use a progression of Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees, our certification levels represent different levels of educational achievement in ballroom dance. These are commonly completed in order.
Receiving a Dance Vision Associate Degree means you have sufficient knowledge of the Bronze Level syllabus in any given style.
Receiving a Dance Vision Master Degree means you have sufficient knowledge of the Silver Level syllabus in any given style.
Grand Master’s Degree
Receiving a Dance Vision Grand Master Degree means you have sufficient knowledge of Gold Level syllabus in any given style.
You can achieve these certifications in different fields, or in our case, dance styles. Most degrees are available in:
Includes Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, and Viennese Waltz dances.
Includes Cha Cha, Rumba, East Coast Swing, Bolero, and Mambo dances. Option to add Merengue, Samba, West Coast Swing, though these are not necessary to complete your degree.
Includes Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Quickstep (slow & quick rhythm) dances. Option to add Viennese Waltz, though this is not necessary to complete your degree.
Includes Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso Doble, and Jive dances.
Night Club Two-Step
Once you’ve determined which degree and which dance style you are aiming for, you can find an examiner to conduct your exam. You’re well on your way to dance teacher certification.
2. Find an Examiner
- First, go to our directory and find a Dance Vision Examiner to conduct your exam. We have over 40 examiners world-wide.
- Examiners will travel to you, or allow you to travel to them, in order for them to conduct your exam. Understand that you are responsible to pay examiners for their time and their travel expenses if they do not live near you.
3. Contact Your Examiner Directly
- Contact your chosen examiner and determine a date for your exam.
- Your examiner will let you know to purchase your Dance Vision Teacher Membership & exam on Dance Vision.
4. Purchase Your Teacher Membership and Exam on Dance Vision
You can purchase your exam, once you've purchased your Teacher Membership. A Dance Vision Teacher Membership includes numerous benefits for your dance education and career:
Dance Vision Library and Text Manuals
- Access video syllabi, drills, and techniques and reference text manuals from Bronze to Gold across all styles.
- Official study materials are coming soon.
- Only those who are Dance Vision Teacher Members may purchase exams in their dashboard.
- Purchasing your exam online lets us know you’re on your way to becoming a certified teacher with us.
Attend Member Only Events
- Our first Dance Vision National Championships will take place in November. It is a competitive event exclusive to Dance Vision members. As a professional competitor, it is required that you are certified with Dance Vision in order to attend with your students and/or professional partners. Did we mention you’ll be able to attend professional development and dance workshops for free?
Become Listed on our Teacher Directory
- This allows our Dance Vision student members to easily find you and reach out if they are in search of in-person lessons.
5. Prepare for Your Exam
Don’t worry, it's more fun than geometry...Dance Vision Syllabi videos and text manuals are included in your membership on our App and Website so you can start studying when you are ready. Official study materials are coming soon!
- If you prefer to learn from a physical manual, you can purchase one here.
- You can also consider booking extra time with your Dance Vision Examiner to help prepare you for your exams. Liken it to booking time with a tutor.
- It can also be helpful to set some goals for your study process—check out our blog on goal setting!
6. Take Your Exam!
- On exam day, our greatest advice is to take deep breaths and remember that our organization and examiner want the best for you in this exciting journey. Before you know it, you will be on your way with a passing grade and the opportunity to be limitless in your dance career.
- Your examiner will send the exam to our headquarters where it is reviewed and processed. A certificate will arrive quickly in the mail as long as the aforementioned steps are completed. You will also be placed on the Dance Vision Certified Teacher Directory.
- Know that if in the case you do pass your exam, you are required to pay for another when you try again. Don’t feel discouraged—the journey isn’t linear! Plenty of teachers have required a do-over 😀
Understand the Investment
Like any professional certification, there are costs associated with becoming a ballroom dance teacher. Consider it an investment in yourself, your education, and your career. The three main expenses are:
- The Dance Vision Teacher Membership ($199 annually) A Teacher Membership is required to certify with Dance Vision and includes numerous benefits for your dance education and career.
- The Exam ($50-75) Costs vary depending on level of exam and style.
- The Examiner (To be Determined with Examiner) Dance Vision Examiners have their own rates which can vary based on level of exam and style. You are responsible for your examiner’s travel and accommodation expenses in the case they must travel to you in order to conduct your exam.
So there you have it...the essential steps to take as you prepare to become a certified teacher. Want to know more about the benefits of a degree in dance? Check out our blog post here.