The Cha Cha is a continual, flirtatious game of “cat and mouse” - the International Cha Cha has strong Cuban roots. Differentiating itself from the American Cha Cha, the International style Cha Cha is danced with a straight leg action throughout. And now, let's get straight into explaining how to dance cha cha.
Regardless if you are dancing the International or American style Cha Cha, this dance is known for its breaking action on count “2” (unique to Cha Cha, Rumba, and Mambo) and syncopated actions on counts 4 & 1 (also counted as “cha cha cha”). This will make more sense as we discuss the breakdown of the basic step!
Breakdown of Basic Step
As a follower:
1. Start with your weight on your left foot and you right foot free.
2. Step to the side with your right foot.
3. Now step forward with your left foot.
4. Step back onto your right foot.
5. Next, step to the side with your left foot, then close your right foot to the left foot. This is called a side chassè.
6. Again, step to the side with your left foot.
7. From there, take a step backward with your right foot.
7. Then, step forward onto the left foot and take another side chassè in the opposite direction (right foot to the side, left foot closes to right foot).
As a leader:
1. Start with your weight on your right foot with your left foot free.
2. Step to the side with your left foot.
3. Next, step backward onto your right foot.
3. Step forward with your left foot.
4. Next, step to the side with your right foot, then close your left foot to the right foot. This is called a side chassè.
5. Again, step to the side with your right foot.
6. From there, take a forward step with your left foot.
7. Step back onto the right foot and take another side chassè in the opposite direction (left foot to the side, right foot closes to left foot).
Try it from Home
Discover our 4 tips on how to learn to dance from home with Dance Vision.
Dance to the Music
We love Cha Cha so much, we made a whole playlist of Cha Cha music! Check out our curated Spotify playlists created with dancers like you in mind. Take our playlist with you to the studio or use it to practice from home.
Who knows, you might find your new favorite song to jam to and get inspired by!
Now that you’re hooked on the Cha Cha, check out more steps on our website and App! Let’s dance!